Applications & Permits
City Secretary Office Applications & Permits
Hours for Permit Issuance:
8:00 am to 12:00 pm
& 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm
Contact the City Secretary's Office at (325) 437-4546 for more information.
- Alcoholic Beverage Permit
- Metal Permits
- Solicitation Permit
- Street Maintenance Fee Reduction Application
- Taxicabs & Limousine Permits
Applying for the Alcoholic Beverage Permit
Applicants applying for an alcoholic beverage license/permit (PDF) in the City of Abilene are required to have the attached checklist completed prior to certification of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission Pre-Qualification Application by the City Secretary.
The Planning and Zoning Department requires a site plan confirming separation requirements pursuant to Section 220.127.116.11 Subsections 32, 33, and 34 of the Land Development Code and a notarized affidavit from the Planning Services Department within the City of Abilene. Contact 325-676-6237 for all inquiries.
Applicants are to complete all identifying information (i.e, Trade Name, Address, etc.) prior to obtaining the required City signatures. The following City offices must sign the Checklist:
- City Secretary's Office
555 Walnut, 2nd Floor
- Planning and Zoning Department
555 Walnut, 1st Floor (24-Hour Waiting Period)
- Should the liquor store become an adult entertainment enterprise following approval of this application, reapplication must be made to ensure compliance.
- An appointment can be made with the Planning Services Department and with the City Secretary for certification of the application. To receive information on City fees please contact the City Secretary's Office or the Planning Services Department.
Solicitation Permit & Information
- Solicitation Permit Application Form (PDF)
- Current List of Solicitation Permits (PDF)
- City of Abilene Solicitation Ordinance Number 12-2019 (PDF)
Begging & Peddling Prohibited in Roadway
No solicitor, peddler, or canvasser may locate in the roadway which includes the areas adjacent to or nearby the traveled portion of the road at any of the following locations:
- All intersections, access roads, and ramps adjacent to Winters Freeway from S 1st Street to Buffalo Gap Road
- All intersections adjacent to:
- Ambler Avenue/SH 351 from Grape Street to East Lake Road
- Buffalo Gap Road from S 27th to Antilley Road
- Business I-20 from U.S.-83 (Winters Freeway) to N Judge Ely Boulevard
- Judge Ely Boulevard from ES 11th Street to EN 10th Street
- S 14th Street from Willis Street to Butternut Street
- Southwest Drive from Winters Freeway to Catclaw Drive
- Treadaway Boulevard from E Highway 80 to S 11th Street
- Treadaway Boulevard from S 27th Street to Industrial Boulevard
No solicitor, peddler, or canvasser may locate in the median or traffic island of any street or roadway. Read more on the City of Abilene Amended Solicitation Ordinance Number 63-2013 (PDF).
Aggressive manner means:
- Making any physical contact with or touching another person in the course of the solicitation without the person’s consent.
- Touching, tapping or hitting any part of a motor vehicle occupied by a person being solicited unless such touching is with the express permission of the occupant.
- Blocking the safe or free passage of the person being solicited or requiring the person, or the driver of a vehicle, to take evasive action to avoid physical contact with the person making the solicitation.
- Using obscene or abusive language or gestures toward the person being solicited.
- Approaching the person being solicited in a manner that is:
- Likely to cause a reasonable person to fear imminent bodily harm or the commission of a criminal act upon property in the person’s possession.
- Reasonably likely to intimidate the person being solicited into responding affirmatively to the solicitation.
- Following the person being solicited in a manner that is:
- Likely to cause a reasonable person to fear imminent bodily harm or the commission of a criminal act upon property in the person’s possession
- Reasonably likely to intimidate the person being solicited into responding affirmatively to the solicitation
- Continuing to solicit a person after the person has made a negative response.
Hours of Solicitation
- 9 am until 7 pm.
It shall be unlawful for any person to canvass, solicit, or peddle upon any private property in the City where the owner, occupant, or person legally in charge of the premises has posted at the entry to the premises, or at the entry to the principal building on the premises, a sign bearing the words
No Solicitors, or words of similar import.
Street Maintenance Fee Reduction
Those persons who make 50% or less of the Median Family Income as defined by the City of Abilene Office of Neighborhood Services are eligible to pay the reduced
LM1 rate as provided in the Street Maintenance Fee Schedule. The city manager, or his or her designee, shall administer this application process, and such applications shall be on file with the city secretary.