The City of Abilene Senior Services Division provides excellent Recreational and Social opportunities for senior citizens of Abilene and surrounding areas. Participants can enjoy a wide variety of activities and services which includes fitness classes, lunch program, educational opportunities, and more.
The City of Abilene has four Senior Centers for senior citizens ages 55 and older or the spouse of someone that age:
A nutritious lunch is served Monday through Friday. Written special diets are prepared for those with written doctors' orders. Carry out meals can be arranged for participants who pre-qualify.
See January's Senior lunch menu.
Each of the four Senior Centers offer a variety of recreational activities that include card games, dance classes, field trips, educational opportunities, and more.
Thursday Night Dances
Dances are held Thursday night at Rose Park Senior Activity Center, located at:
2625 S 7th Street
Abilene, TX 79605
Dances start at 7 pm and are open to anyone 55 and older. The cost is $5 per person.
- 1st Thursday - Moonlight Bandits
- 2nd Thursday - Exit 277
- 3rd Thursday - Midnight Blue
- 4th Thursday - Harmony Creek Cowboys
- 5th Thursday - Open
Fitness & Health Related Activities
The City of Abilene Senior Services Division offers a variety of fitness classes for Active Adults. These classes are led by senior volunteers and designed for Senior Citizens.
The City of Abilene Senior Services Division offers transportation for medical appointments Monday through Thursday from 9 am to 1:30 pm. Reservations can be made at 325-673-4694.
Transportation service is available to senior citizens age 60 and older. Transportation is available for Senior Citizens from their residence to any of the Senior Activity Centers. Participants must be able to get on and off the bus without assistance. Following the lunch program, the senior citizens will be returned to their residence.
Twice a month, staff provides transportation to and from a local grocery store. There are no assigned fees for this service; however confidential donations are accepted.
Please call 325-734-5300 for transportation arrangements.
Senior Activity Center
Activity Center Guide
- Cornerstone Award - City of Abilene Senior Services Division
- Outstanding Corporate Partner Award - Abilene Regional Medical Center
- Outstanding Corporate Partner Award - Angels Care Home Health
- Outstanding Corporate Partner Award - Wisteria Retirement Living
- Outstanding Professional Award - Janet Whisenhunt
- Outstanding Program Award - City of Abilene Senior Services Division
- TRAPS Leisure and Aging Award - Outstanding Staff - Julie Sartor
See photos of these groups accepting their awards in the Photo Gallery.