The Facilities Maintenance Division is responsible for the maintenance and repair of all city-owned buildings. Maintenance staff includes electricians, plumbers/carpenters, and HVAC technicians.
Additional services include repair and maintenance to:
- Airfield windsocks
- Airport Control Tower rotating beacon light
- Building and pole lights
- Sewer lines
- Sump pumps and more
- Parks Department baseball/softball field lighting
- Rose Park Tennis Center lighting
The Division responds to an average of 200 work requests per month. Another 50 to 60 preventative maintenance work orders are automatically deployed through the paradigm computer system for buildings throughout the city on a weekly, monthly, quarterly basis.
The Division monitors the required inspections to all city-owned gas-fired boilers and elevators. Other monitoring and inspections include fire sprinkler and kitchen vent hood suppression systems.
The Division responds to calls for after-hours service to all city-owned buildings, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Immediate after-hours service for a City-Owned Building can also be requested by calling the Fire and Police Non-Emergency Number at 325-673-8331.
Equipment Replacement / Renovations / Remodeling
The Division assists in the development of specifications to bid out major systems replacement, minor modifications to buildings for:
- Major electrical components
- Room additions, etc.
We closely monitor contractor work for accuracy and problems that may develop throughout the project. All work done by the Facilities Maintenance Division is done according to the City of Abilene Building Inspections code. Permits are obtained for work done just as required by private contractors.
- Monday through Friday
8 am to 4:30 pm
- Phone: 325-676-6082
Maintenance of City-owned buildings:
- Air Conditioning (HVAC)
- Ventilation, etc.
Expanded Division Responsibilities
Providing assistance with the development of specifications for the renovation/remodel of existing City-owned buildings, organizing repairs through the use of private contractors when required, purchasing new and replacement equipment for building systems, obtaining bids for contracts for service.
Boiler Maintenance / Repairs
Annual maintenance checks by state-licensed boiler mechanics, and welding repairs by licensed contractors with a skilled welder
Inspections every 2 years by a licensed independent boiler inspector
Elevator / Escalator Maintenance
Routine preventative maintenance. An independent elevator repair contractor is used for most maintenance procedures.
Elevator / Escalator Inspections
Annual inspections, and comprehensive safety inspections every 5 years by a contractor
- Refuse Containers - Solid Waste Division at 325-676-6059
- Street Lights - WTU/AEP at 1-888-216-3523
- Street Signs - Sign Shop at 325-676-6065
- Traffic Lights - Signals Shop at 325-676-6066
- Trees - Service involving tree limbs should be made as follows:
- Extending past the City set-back should be made to the Street Division at 325-676-6047
- Into power lines should be made to WTU/AEP at 1-877-373-4858
- Obstructing the view of a traffic control device should be made to the City Sign Shop at 325-676-6065