Get an Abilene Public Library Card
Library cards are free for City of Abilene residents and active duty members assigned to Dyess AFB (including dependents, retirees, civil service personnel, and non-appropriated fund employees that would have been granted access to Dyess AFB library).
There will be a $30.00 annual non-resident fee for all other Texas residents.
Please Note: We do not issue library cards to those residing outside of Texas.
University Student IDs
Current students & faculty at Abilene Christian, Hardin-Simmons, or McMurry Universities may use their school IDs as their library card with all Abilene Public Library locations.
Abilene ISD Student IDs
Current students in an AISD school may use their student IDs as their library card with all Abilene Public Library locations if their parents opt in for their child to receive public library privileges when registering for school.
Choose a form below to start the registration process virtually. Simply complete the form, print out a copy, and return to your library to complete the registration process; or, complete the registration form, save it, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to state on the form, or in the email, which location you would like to pickup your library card from. Once submitted online, it will take 1-2 business days to process your form. After that time, visit the library you indicated to complete the registration process quickly.
- Abilene Public Library Card Registration Form
- Abilene Public Library Restricted Access Juvenile Card Registration Form
Apply in Person
Fill out an application form at the circulation desk at any branch library, present a Photo ID and verification of your address, and staff can create your account. Minors will need a parent/legal guardian to acquire a card.
Acceptable Forms of Verification of Address
- Driver's License
- Insurance (Car, Renter's, Home, etc.)
- Lease Agreement
- Official Mail
- Utility Bill
Supplemental Library Card Information
- WHAT TYPES OF LIBRARY CARDS DO YOU OFFER?
- General Library Card: Each card affords you with 3-sessions on library computers each day and access to our E-Resources and Digital Services. You may checkout up to 10 DVDs, 10 audiobooks, and 10 music CDs, or a total of 50 items total, from the public libraries. Library cards are valid for 1-year. Your public library cards also grants you with borrowing privileges from the three private university libraries.
- Non-Resident Library Card (For Texas Residents Only): Valid for 1-year at an annual fee of $30.00, patrons are granted access to all of the same services provided under the General Library Card.
- Juvenile Library Cards (Restricted): Valid for 1-year and available as a resident and non-resident card. Designed for minors whose parents wish to restrict access to only juvenile books in the library's collection. A parent, or legal guardian, must visit the library to register their child/minor for this card. Cardholders WILL NOT be able to:
- Checkout materials from the young adult or adult collections, including movies.
- Checkout downloadable eBooks, eAudiobooks, or streaming content through Libby or Hoopla.
- Access the Internet or the computer lab at the library.
- Engage in reciprocal borrowing to transfer materials between libraries for holds or reserves.
- Use the Interlibrary Loan service to acquire materials outside of Abilene.
- Internet-Only Card:Grants users with access to library computers only.
- WHAT ARE THE LATE FEES FOR LIBRARY MATERIALS?
- We do not charge late fees for overdue materials. If you have items on your account that are overdue, you will not be able to checkout new materials until the overdue items are returned. Overdue materials may also affect your ability to use our Libby & Hoopla services.
- HOW MUCH IS A REPLACEMENT LIBRARY CARD?
- $1.00; Library staff will ask to view your Photo ID to access your account.
- CAN I CHECKOUT WITHOUT MY LIBRARY CARD?
- Yes; you will need to present a Photo ID for library staff to access your account. If using the self-checkout machines, you will need to know your 13-digit library card number and your PIN.
- WHAT'S A PIN?
- This is used to access your account online and/or use the self-checkout stations. If you do not register for a PIN, contact library staff. PIN's can be a combination of letters and numbers (not case-sensitive) and must be at least 4-characters long.
- CAN I RENEW MATERIALS OVER THE PHONE?
- Yes; contact staff and we'll ask for your 13-digit library card number to renew physical items. Materials may not be renewed if there is an outstanding hold on the item(s) or you've reached your renewal limit.
- WHAT IF I LOSE MY LIBRARY CARD?
- Contact library staff to report it. We may then update your account to require a Photo ID for checkout until we may issue you a new library card for $1.00. If you do not report your card lost/stolen, you will be held responsible for items checked out that are not returned.
- WHY DO YOU NEED MY EMAIL ADDRESS?
- It's used to send notifications of available holds, late items, etc., which are automatically generated by our system. You will also receive a courtesy email to alert you of library materials needing to be returned 48 hours before they are due, as well as reminders to renew your library card when its time.