About the City Secretary
The office of the City Secretary documents, maintains, and preserves the history of Abilene's City Government. In the area of Records Management, as outlined by state law and by City Charter, our primary duties are recording Council actions and preserving, maintaining, and providing access to public information.
- Providing information maintained in our office as authorized by the City Charter and State Law (Public Information Act)
- Assisting with meeting agenda notices in compliance with the Texas Open Meetings Act
- Assuring proper filing of elected and appointed official Statements of Officer and Oaths as required by Secretary of State's Statutory Documents Section
- Educate our younger citizens (and potential Council members) by providing City Hall tours and briefings for various classes and organizations
- Administrating and coordinating all City elections as contracted with the Taylor County Elections Administrator
- Abilene Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Abilene ISD
- Better Business Bureau
- Central Appraisal District
- Chamber of Commerce
- News Media (KTXS, KTAB, KRBC, and Abilene Reporter-News)
- Secretary of State (Notary Public Section, Statutory Documents, and Elections Division)
- Texas Municipal League
- West Central Texas Council of Governments
- West Central Texas Municipal Water District
- Wylie ISD
Applications & Permits
- Alcoholic Beverage Permit
- Metal Permits
- Solicitation Permits
- Street Maintenance Fee Reduction Application
- Taxicabs & Limousine Permits
Applying for the Permit
Applicants applying for an alcoholic beverage license/permit (PDF) in the City of Abilene are required to have the attached checklist completed prior to certification of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission Pre-Qualification Application by the City Secretary.
The Planning and Zoning Department requires a site plan confirming separation requirements pursuant to Section 126.96.36.199 Subsections 32, 33, and 34 of the Land Development Code and a notarized affidavit from the Planning Services Department within the City of Abilene. Contact 325-676-6237 for all inquiries.
Applicants are to complete all identifying information (i.e, Trade Name, Address, etc.) prior to obtaining the required City signatures. The following City offices must sign the Checklist:
- City Secretary's Office
555 Walnut, 2nd Floor
- Planning and Zoning Department
555 Walnut, 1st Floor (24-Hour Waiting Period)
- Should the liquor store become an adult entertainment enterprise following approval of this application, reapplication must be made to ensure compliance.
- An appointment can be made with the Planning Services Department and with the City Secretary for certification of the application. To receive information on City fees please contact the City Secretary's Office or the Planning Services Department.
Those persons who make 50% or less of the Median Family Income as defined by the City of Abilene Office of Neighborhood Services are eligible to pay the reduced
LM1 rate as provided in the Street Maintenance Fee Schedule. The city manager, or his or her designee, shall administer this application process, and such applications shall be on file with the city secretary.