Until further notice, no new solicitor’s permits will be issued, and any current permits expiring will not be renewed.
Begging & Peddling Prohibited in Roadway
No solicitor, peddler, or canvasser may locate in the roadway which includes the areas adjacent to or nearby the traveled portion of the road at any of the following locations:
- All intersections, access roads, and ramps adjacent to Winters Freeway from S 1st Street to Buffalo Gap Road
- All intersections adjacent to:
- Ambler Avenue/SH 351 from Grape Street to East Lake Road
- Buffalo Gap Road from S 27th to Antilley Road
- Business I-20 from U.S.-83 (Winters Freeway) to N Judge Ely Boulevard
- Judge Ely Boulevard from ES 11th Street to EN 10th Street
- S 14th Street from Willis Street to Butternut Street
- Southwest Drive from Winters Freeway to Catclaw Drive
- Treadaway Boulevard from E Highway 80 to S 11th Street
- Treadaway Boulevard from S 27th Street to Industrial Boulevard
No solicitor, peddler, or canvasser may locate in the median or traffic island of any street or roadway. Read more on the City of Abilene Amended Solicitation Ordinance (Number 63-2013) (PDF).
Aggressive manner means:
- Making any physical contact with or touching another person in the course of the solicitation without the person’s consent.
- Touching, tapping or hitting any part of a motor vehicle occupied by a person being solicited unless such touching is with the express permission of the occupant.
- Blocking the safe or free passage of the person being solicited or requiring the person, or the driver of a vehicle, to take evasive action to avoid physical contact with the person making the solicitation.
- Using obscene or abusive language or gestures toward the person being solicited.
- Approaching the person being solicited in a manner that is:
- Likely to cause a reasonable person to fear imminent bodily harm or the commission of a criminal act upon property in the person’s possession.
- Reasonably likely to intimidate the person being solicited into responding affirmatively to the solicitation.
- Following the person being solicited in a manner that is:
- Likely to cause a reasonable person to fear imminent bodily harm or the commission of a criminal act upon property in the person’s possession
- Reasonably likely to intimidate the person being solicited into responding affirmatively to the solicitation
- Continuing to solicit a person after the person has made a negative response.
Hours of Solicitation
- 9 am until 7 pm.
It shall be unlawful for any person to canvass, solicit, or peddle upon any private property in the City where the owner, occupant, or person legally in charge of the premises has posted at the entry to the premises, or at the entry to the principal building on the premises, a sign bearing the words
No Solicitors, or words of similar import.