Zoning establishes the types of land uses permitted on a specific tract of land. Zoning also regulates the size, intensity, and height of development, as well as signage, screening, and parking related to development. Zone changes allow for development that is not permissible under current district’s regulations. The zoning on a specific piece of property can change only through a public hearing process. This process allows public participation from the applicant, interested citizens, and decision makers. The process requires public notification, public hearings, a recommendation from the Planning and Zoning Commission, and final approval by the City Council.
- Zone changes to Planned Development Districts:
- Planned Development District: $2,000
- Planned Development District:, Amendment: $1,000
- All other zone changes:
- Zone Change Request: $1,500
Street Name Changes
Street name changes can alter a street name completely or add an Honorary Title to an existing name. Both processes require a public hearing and approval of the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council. The Honorary Street Name Change also requires a petition signed by a minimum of 51% of residents along the street to be changed.
- Standard street name change: $800 (applicant also responsible for notification costs)
- Honorary street name change: To be determined
Thoroughfares, including alleys and parkways along public roadways, are public rights-of-way that allow access throughout the city. Upon approval from the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council, citizens can acquire the land from the City at the current market value.
Based on land value, will be determined at time of application.
These must be approved by all the utility companies or City services that utilize the space before the easement can be released to the property owner. If there are utility lines in place they must be relocated at the applicant’s expense.
Application fee: $400
Zoning Verification Letters
Provide a letter stating:
- The person or business (with address) to receive the letter
- The requested information (i.e. current zoning, code violation history, flood zone classification, etc.)
- Requests for additional documents (copies of Certificates of Occupancy, zoning map, etc.)
- Any additional requests or instructions
Allow at least one week for staff to process your request once it is received.
Application fee: $100