- U.S. Citizen
- Be at least twenty-one years old by the date of commission -OR-
- Be at least eighteen years of age and:
- Have an associate's degree; or sixty semester hours of credit from an accredited college or university -OR-
- Have received an honorable discharge from the armed forces of the United States with at least two years of active service.
- Be no more than forty-five years of age at the time of hire.
- Has graduated from high school or completed the general educational development (GED) test
- Successfully pass a Civil Service Exam
- Has the ability to fluently read, write, and speak the English language
- Excellent health and physical condition
- Possess a valid Texas driver's license without restrictions other than eyeglass restrictions (Code A)
- Is not addicted to narcotics and does not indulge in excessive use of intoxicants
- Has never been convicted of a Class A misdemeanor or any felony at any time
- Is not under indictment for any criminal offense
- Has never executed at any time a confession to a felony offense, such confession being admissible as evidence against the person in any criminal proceeding in any state or federal court
- Has not been convicted of family violence
- Has not been convicted or been on court-ordered community supervision for any Class B misdemeanor within the last ten years
- Has not been discharged from military service under less than honorable conditions
The Abilene Police Department has concluded our Spring/Summer 2023 application window for Cadets/New Police Officers. Please check back for future hiring announcements.
APD Police Cadet Flyer (PDF) - Updated August 17 2023
An applicant must meet the following minimum standards by the date of hire unless a different date is indicated:
- All candidates must have been previously employed as a Peace Officer in a position with responsibilities similar to those of a Patrol Officer for the Abilene Police Department.
- Must be a certified Texas Police Officer by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- The maximum age at the start of the modified Lateral Academy is 50 years of age.
- Applicants must have two (2) years of previous law enforcement experience.
- A high school diploma or GED is required.
- A valid driver’s license is required at date of hire. However, a valid Texas driver’s license is required by the date of TCOLE certification.
- Pass a thorough background investigation.
- The Physical Agility Test for entry is a 2,000 meter row test on a Concept2 rower.
- Must pass the required physical/mental examination requirements.
- Police Administration establishes each applicant’s suitability for entry.
APD is currently accepting Applications from TCOLE Licensed Officers until November 4th. Apply here!
APD Lateral Officer Flyer (PDF) - Updated August 17, 2023
All applicants are given a battery of extensive tests. The tests will include:
- All Entry Level applicants must take and pass a written civil service exam with a passing score of 70 percent.
- All Entry Level and Lateral applicants must pass the following:
A Professional Academy
The Abilene Police Academy is recognized statewide as a professional, progressive academy. Expert instructors from diverse disciplines provide course instruction on law enforcement-related topics. Though academic standards are high, the Abilene Police Department is consistently ranked among the highest in the state for licensing examination success. The Academy is mentally and physically challenging and gives the cadet the fundamentals for becoming a professional Police Officer.
Persons selected for appointment to the Abilene Police Academy as entry level Police Cadets undergo 29 weeks of intensive police training. The Abilene Police Academy expands the basic 720-hour peace officer course to include additional training and specialized courses for a total of more than 1,100 hours of instruction. Graduates of the Abilene Police Academy then enter the Patrol Training Officer program, where they obtain real-world experience while assigned to and supervised by experienced Patrol Officers.
Persons selected for appointment to the Abilene Police Academy as experienced Lateral Officers undergo a modified training academy and Patrol Training Officer program.