ABOUT CORONAVIRUS 2019 FROM THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION
Provided by the
World Health Organization in 2020
STRUCTURE OF A CORONAVIRUS
|The coronavirus particles are organized with long RNA polymers tightly packed into the center of the particle, and surrounded by a protective capsid, which is a lattice of repeated protein molecules referred to as coat or capsid proteins. In coronavirus, these proteins are called nucleocapsid (N). |
The coronavirus core particle is further surrounded by an outer membrane envelope made of lipids (fats) with proteins inserted. These membranes derive from the cells in which the virus was last assembled but are modified to contain specific viral proteins, including the spike (S), membrane (M), and envelope (E) proteins.
COVID-19 VIRUS UNDER AN ELECTRON MICROSCOPE
|Transmission electron microscope image shows SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, isolated form a patient in the U.S. Virus particles are emerging from the surface of cells cultured in the lab.|
The spikes on the outer edge of the virus particles give coronaviruses their name, crown-like, NIAID-RML.
HOMEOSTASIS & VIRUSES
ARE VIRUSES ALIVE?
Provided by Anthony Carboni
of D News
COMPANION VIDEOS ON HEALTHY PRACTICES
SUPPLEMENTAL WORKSHEETS FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE CORONAVIRUS
- Viruses | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/4.html
- Viruses Questions | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/5.html
- Viruses Answers | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/6.html
- Are Viruses Alive? | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/28.html
- Are Viruses Alive? Questions | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/29.html
- Are Viruses Alive? Answers | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/30.html
- Viruses - Biology and Structure | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/2.html
- Viruses - Biology and Structure Answers | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/3.html
- Viruses: Size, Shape and Reproduction | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/7.html
- Viruses: Size, Shape and Reproduction Questions | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/8.html
- Viruses: Size, Shape and Reproduction Answers | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/15.html
- Contagion | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/22.html
- Contagion Questions | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/23.html
- Contagion Answers | https://www.easyteacherworksheets.com/pages/pdf/science/answer/twopages/bacteria/1/24.html
Follow the link to take a short test to see how much you learned about COVID-19 from viewing this classroom topic.