Red Flag Warning
A Red Flag Warning means warm temperatures, very low humidities, & stronger winds are expected to combine to produce an increased risk of fire danger.
- Avoid driving & parking on grass
- Check tow chains when pulling trailers
- Obey burn bans & local ordinances
- Avoid welding & grinding on dry, windy days
- Call 9-1-1- if you see a fire
- Get more information: Visit nfpa.org
Preparing Your Home for Wildfires
Know Ignition Zones: Increase your home's chance of surviving a wildfire by limiting the amount of flammable vegetation in:
- The Immediate Zone: (0-5 feet around the house)
- The Intermediate Zone: (5-30 feet)
- The Extended Zone (30-100 feet)
- Trim branches that overhang the home, porch, or deck
- Prune branches of large trees up to 6-10 feet from the ground
- Remove plants containing resins, oils & waxes
- Used crushed stone or gravel instead of flammable mulches in the Immediate Zone
Fire Resistive Construction: Make your home safer during a wildfire by taking a look at your home's construction.
- Use Class A fire-rated roofing products
- Replace or repair broken or missing shingles or roof tiles
- Never store flammable materials under decks or porches
- Remove dead vegetation & debris from under decks & porches
- Use fire-resistant siding such as brick, fiber-cement, plaster, or stucco
- Use dual-pane tempered glass windows
Plan Ahead and Be Prepared
Having a plan in place will help you prepare quickly, evacuate safely, and settle possible claims faster.
- Have an Emergency Action Plan: Include details for handling pets & livestock
- Know How & Where to Evacuate: Know two ways out of your neighborhood & have a predesignated meeting place
- Evacuate if it's Unsafe: Don't wait to receive an emergency notification if you feel threatened from the fire
- Check your Insurance: Conduct an annual insurance policy checkup to adjust for local building costs, codes & new renovations
- Create or Update a Home Inventory: Settle insurance claims faster
- Visit firewise.org for more details on preparation!