Enhance your skills when it comes to tracing your family history by attending the annual Genealogy Video Seminar at your Main Library, hosted on Friday, October 20 starting at 9:00AM. Open to all adults, as a come-and-go event, a series of video presentations provided by the Waco-McLennan County Library, the Central Texas Genealogical Society, the Texas State Genealogical Society, and the Genealogy Network of Texas.
Eight (8) total presentations will run throughout the day, and interested guests are invited to attend the sessions of interest to you. Your Abilene Public Library provides a great genealogical collection at our library, as well as access to some of the leading genealogy platforms including HeritageQuest Online and Ancestry Plus, available to all library cardholders for free. However, there are times where you might reach a roadblock and need to reach out for assistance. These presentations are designed to do just that. Provide you with a bit more information to get over a hump, while also informing you of new methods to utilize when researching.
Below is a schedule of the presentations that will run on this day. All are free to attend and feel free to come ready to take some notes. For more information about this genealogical event, contact librarian Heather Carter at 325-676-605, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 9:00AM-10:15AM | Secrets to Successful Writing & Publishing, Presented by Angela Breidenbach, Executive Director of the International Institute of Genealogical Studies
- 10:25AM-11:15AM | Linking the Generations with Court and Land Records, Presented by Judy Russell, JD, CG, CGL, The Legal Genealogist and sponsored by the Texas Research Ramblers Genealogical Society
- 11:25AM-12:15PM | Visiting the Hill College Texas Heritage Museum, Presented by John Versluis, Dean of the Texas Heritage Museum at Hill College
- 12:25PM-1:40PM | Genealogy Basics: Start Searching for Your Ancestors Today, Presented by Irene B. Walters, Librarian, Family History Research Center at the Clayton Library Campus
- 1:50PM-2:40PM | Tame the Chaos Tiger: Organization Your Records and Research, Presented by Susan Ball, President TxSGS
- 2:50PM-3:40PM | Uncover Your Family’s Story Using the Periodical Source Index (PERSI), Presented by Elizabeth Hodges, MA, MSLIS, Senior Librarian in the ALlen County Public Library Genealogy Center
- 3:50PM-4:40PM | Placing Your DNA Matches on Your Tree, Presented by Ryan Russell, Genetic Genealogist, Open Door Genetics
- 4:50PM-5:40PM | Checking on Czech Immigrants to the United States, Presented by Heather Mecham, Research Specialist for FamilySearch