The Abilene Fire Department has received the ISO Class 1 classification. ISO, or Insurance Services Office, collects data from fire districts and communities throughout the country and scores departments based on certain categories and programs. The ISO rating is used by 90 percent of all insurance companies to determine rates in a particular city or town. A Class 1 rating is the highest possible rating a city can receive. The Fire Department, Water Department, and Police Communications Division make up the three main areas the ISO evaluates to determine these classifications. THese departments, along with City Administration, worked hard to bring Abilene to this point.
Some important facts & figures from this accomplishment are:
- Abilene is one of only 18 communities in Texas with a Class 1 rating.
- The ISO evaluates over 48,000 communities nationwide.
- Abilene is one of only 60 nationwide communities with a Class 1 rating.
- The rating stems from a well-prepared Fire Department, efficient water services, and a highly rated 911 communication system.
- On average, communities with superior fire protection services have lower fire losses.