What can the City do about dead or diseased trees?

The City of Abilene will investigate complaints of dead, diseased, or insect-harboring trees, and will deem it a nuisance when its condition constitutes a hazard to life or property.

Notice of Violation

The City will issue a Notice of Violation giving the property owner 10 days to abate the nuisance. A re-inspection will be made 10 days from the date of the notice. If the property is still in violation, the City may abate the nuisance and the owner will be charged an abatement fee, an administrative fee, and a penalty fee. If the charges remain unpaid after 30 days from the billing date, the City will file a lien on the property and the debt will accumulate interest at 10% per year from the due date until paid.


The City cannot mediate other tree disputes among neighbors. If you wish to report a violation, call 325-676-6241.

Show All Answers

1. How can I make a complaint?
2. How long should it take for a Code Officer to investigate my complaint?
3. What if I want to remain anonymous?
4. Why isn't the City doing something about a property complaint I made?
5. How do I report littering?
6. How do I report illegal dumping in rights-of-way?
7. How can I encourage others not to litter?
8. Who is responsible for keeping the street and alley clean?
9. Who is responsible for trimming trees?
10. What can the City do about dead or diseased trees?
11. Can I park a vehicle in my yard?
12. Can 18-wheelers be parked on a residential street?
13. Can I operate a business in my home?
14. Can I post a sign to a utility pole or tree?
15. What items cannot be stored outside?
16. Can I compost my own leaves and grass clippings?
17. How can I tell if my contractor is disposing of waste properly?