I see people dumping their used oil into storm drains all the time. What can I do?

Dumping used oil is illegal. One gallon of motor oil can pollute 250,000 gallons of drinking water. Contact the City of Abilene Stormwater Services Division at 325-676-6280 to report incidents of illegal dumping.

To properly dispose of your used, but uncontaminated (not mixed with other fluids) motor oil, dispose of it through your recycling program with the City of Abilene. For more information on the recycling and waste collection in Abilene, call 325-8672-2209 or visit their Recycling Center page. Check with local automotive shops to see if they accept automotive fluids.

Show All Answers

1. What is Nonpoint Source Pollution (NPS)?
2. What are the effects of these pollutants on our waters?
3. What causes nonpoint source pollution (NPS)?
4. What can we do about nonpoint source pollution?
5. What can I do to reduce the amount of stormwater pollution I contribute?
6. How else can I help reduce stormwater pollution in my area?
7. If I notice a foreign substance flowing into or see someone pouring something into a storm drain inlet, what should I do?
8. I see people dumping their used oil into storm drains all the time. What can I do?
9. What happens if I see a neighbor or know someone who's throwing trash into a storm drain?
10. I have some paint/thinners/chemicals at home that need to be disposed of; where can I take these?
11. What kind of educational programs or informational materials are available about stormwater?
12. I have often seen stencils over storm drains and conveyances. How do I get a stencil for a stormwater structure(s) near me?
13. What is the City of Abilene doing about illegal dumping?
14. How can I be environmentally responsible when washing my car?
15. Grass, yard clippings and leaves are natural, so they don't cause any problems, right?