Preparations Underway for May 4th General Election
The City of Abilene is working to prepare for the upcoming Saturday, May 4, 2019 general election. Early voting for the general election will run Monday, April 22, through Tuesday, April 30, 2019. Abilene City Council Places 5 and 6 will be up for (re)election.
Individuals running for Abilene City Council Place 5 must be residents of the City north of the Texas & Pacific Railroad Company main line; individuals running for Place 6 must be residents of the City south of the Texas & Pacific Railroad Company Main Line.
Additional requirements for Abilene City Council candidacy include:
- At least 21 years of age.
- A citizen and qualified voter of the State of Texas and the City of Abilene.
- Reside within the City of Abilene for at least 12 months preceding election day.
- Does not hold any other office or employment under City of Abilene government while on the Council, nor hold any other paid employment under City government within two years thereafter, unless such employment be an elective office.
- Has not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court.
- Has not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
Individuals may file applications for Abilene City Council Place 5 or 6 candidacy beginning Wednesday, January 16, 2019 through Friday, February 15, 2019.
Applications can be filed with the City Secretary’s office located on the second floor of City Hall at 555 Walnut Street. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Candidate Packet can be found online at http://abilenetx.gov/city-hall/departments/general-government/city-secretary/elections, or by contacting City Secretary Rosa Rios via phone at (325) 676-6202, or email at email@example.com.