A permit is required whenever an owner or authorized agent intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by City code, or to cause any such work to be done.
- Yes. Additionally, carports in the front of a house may require a special exception. Applicants should contact the Planning and Development Services department at (325) 676-6382 for information.
It depends on the height of the fence, and the location's zoning requirements:
- No, if fences will not be over 7' high that meet the setback requirements.
- Yes, if the fence will be more than 7' in height. Zoning will require a variance from the Board of Adjustment and a permit is required.
Re-Roofing a House
- Yes, if replacing more than 5 squares (one square is a 10x10 area, or approximately three bundles of shingles).
It depends on the size of the unit, and whether utilities are included:
- No, for units 200 square feet or less with no utilities
- Yes, for units over 200 square feet
- Yes, for any size building that has utilities
- Yes. Owners may obtain the permit and perform the work on their own homestead. Permitting requires proof of a homestead exemption filed through the Central Appraisal District of Taylor County at 1534 S. Treadaway, (325) 676-9381. Verification can be provided using a copy of your tax form.
- If the work is to be performed by a contractor, the contractor must be a properly licensed plumbing contractor and must be registered with the City of Abilene.
It depends on deck height and construction:
- No, if the deck is open and does not have a roofed structure over it, and the deck walking surface is equal to or less than 30" above the adjoining ground level
- Yes, if the deck has a roofed structure over it
- Yes, if the deck walking surface is more than 30" above the adjoining ground level
Yes, after all of the following requirements have been met:
- Provide proof of homestead
- Pass home owner's electrical test, given by a City of Abilene electrical inspector
- Submit information of work to be performed
- Obtain electrical permits and inspections
For more information, contact Building Inspections at (325) 676-6273.
Yes. The Department of State Health Services (DSHS) requires that, before renovation or demolition work begins, an Asbestos Survey must be conducted by an individual who has been accredited to safely and accurately collect representative samples. Contact the local DSHS office for assistance at (325) 795-5863, or http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/asbestos/faq.shtm
The City of Abilene's Asbestos Survey Verification form must be submitted to obtain a permit. Click to download the form.
Commencing construction without first obtaining a permit is a code violation, and violators are subject to receiving a citation.
For contractors performing re-roofing, plumbing, mechanical, electrical, and irrigation work, a Stop Work Order will be posted, and an investigation fee equal to the amount of the required permit fee will be assessed. If a second violation occurs within 12 months, a ten times fee will be assessed.
For property owners, a Stop Work Order will be posted and an investigation fee equal to the amount of the required permit fee will be assessed. In addition, a Stop Work Order Release Fee will be assessed.
Any construction requiring inspection that has been covered will be exposed to facilitate an inspection. Corrections may be necessary to meet the code requirements. Any associated cost is the responsibility of the contractor or owner.
To become established, you must complete the following steps:
- Obtain a bond form (under Contractor Bond Forms)
- Provide proof of at least a $25,000.00 bond and a copy of your driver's license
- Complete a City of Abilene Contractor's Registration form and pay the contractor registration fee. For new contractors, an additional set up fee will be assessed. For fee information, visit the City Fee Schedule.
- Provide a copy of your State Master Electrician's License with a copy of your driver's license
- Provide a copy of your State Contractor's License
- Provide proof of at least $300,000.00 liability insurance
- Complete a City of Abilene Contractor's Registration form and pay the registration fee. For new contractors, a set up fee will be assessed. For registration and set up fees, visit the City Fee Schedule.
- Provide a copy of your State Air Conditioning - Refrigeration License (with copy of your driver's license)
- Provide proof of General Liability insurance in accordance with Chapter 75.40 Texas Department of License and Regulation
- Complete a City of Abilene Contractor's Registration form and pay the fee. For a new contractor, a set up fee will be assessed.
- Provide a copy of your State of Texas Plumber's license (with a copy of your driver's license)
- Provide proof of at least $300,000 General Liability Insurance.
- Complete a City of Abilene Contractor's Registration form and pay the fee. For new contractors, a set up fee will be assessed. For fee information, visit the City Fee Schedule.
- Provide a $3,000 surety bond on the City of Abilene bond form. Note: A $25,000 Surety Bond carried by a Registered Building Contractor can be used as a substitute.
- For installation of electrical signs, contractor must also provide the following:
- $300,000 Liability Insurance
- State Electrical Sign Contractor License
- State Master Sign Electrician License
- Master Sign Electricians' Driver's License
- Complete a City of Abilene Contractor's Registration form and Sign Builders Bond form and pay the fee. For new contractors, a set up fee will be assessed. For fee amounts, visit the City Fee Schedule.
- Submit at least two sets of plans and a fire permit application to the Abilene Fire Department, Fire Prevention, 250 Grape Street, Abilene, Texas 79601.
- Remit the construction permit fee which includes the cost of a fire plan review. Visit here for the fee schedule under Building Inspection.
- Please allow 10 business days for processing. The customer will be notified when the review is completed.
Local Amendments to the codes are available in booklet form online as printable versions (Pamphlets) and for purchase from Building Inspections. We can be contacted at (325) 676-6273.
The City of Abilene currently uses:
- International Building Code 2012
- International Residential Building Code 2012
- International Existing Building Code 2012
- International Plumbing Code 2012
- International Mechanical Code 2012
- International Fuel Gas Code 2012
- International Energy Conservation Code 2012
- 2014 National Electrical Code
- Abilene Fire Code 2009
- For questions regarding the Fire Code, please call the Abilene Fire Department at (325) 676-6414
- Swimming Pool & Spas Code
- Minimum Standards for Buildings and Structures
- (Chapter 8, Article VI, Division 6 of the City of Abilene Code of Ordinance) (Nov. 6th 2013)
There is no charge for line locating services.
The City of Abilene Water Utilities Department locates water and sewer lines. Contact us at (325) 676-6425.
For all other buried lines, dial 811. (If 811 service is not available in your area, call 1-800-344-8377). For more information, go to http://www.texas811.org.