There are two bulky items collection schedules in Abilene: curb service and alley service.
Residents with curb collection are divided into four monthly collection areas:
- First Monday - north of Ambler
- Second Monday - between Ambler and South 14th Street/Hwy. 277 S.
- Third Monday - between South 14th Street and the Winters Freeway
- Fourth Monday - area south of the Winters Freeway and Loop 322
Residents with alley service should place their bulky items in the alley behind their property line.
- Bulky items are usually picked up on a three month cycle; however, due to seasonal fluctuations, this time will vary. Items may not be placed in the alley more than ten days prior to collection.
- Contact Solid Waste Services at (325) 676-6053 for collection dates for your alley.
For more information about bulky items collection, visit our website.
Report missing, damaged or broken containers to Solid Waste Services at (325) 676-6053.
Residents who know that their container was stolen should contact the non-emergency number at the Abilene Police Department, (325) 673-8331, and report the case number to Solid Waste Services at (325) 676-6053. The container will be replaced by the end of the next business day.
The Citizens Convenience Station is a self-serving drop off location for residential disposal bulky items and residential waste. Materials such as bulky items, furniture and mattresses, carpeting (limit 2 rolls per visit), and wood fencing (limit 50 feet per visit) are accepted. Prohibited materials include materials hauled from commercial establishments, multifamily residential property, government sites, or construction waste including concrete, bricks, rock, shingles, sheetrock or tile, putrescible waste (food, paper, etc.).
The Citizens Convenience Station is located off of East Hwy. 80, in the Abilene Brush Center near the Abilene Police Department Impound, at 2149 Sandy Street. Hours of operation are Wednesday through Saturday from 8:00 AM until 3:00 PM.
Limited to approximately one pickup bed-sized load per visit, citizens must unload their own materials.
Abilene residents only - citizens must check in with the gate attendant and present a driver's license for proof of residency along with a current City of Abilene water bill. The name and service address on the water bill must match the name and address on the driver's license.
For questions or more information, please contact Abilene Solid Waste Services, (325) 676-6053.
A special collection of bulky waste can be set up for an hourly fee plus tax. Bulky waste in volume greater than 4 ft x 3 ft x 8 ft is considered excess and requires a special collection. Contact Solid Waste at (325) 676-6053 for more information.
Items we collect include:
- Tree limbs need to be cut into 4-foot lengths and tied in bundles that are no heavier than 50 lbs.
- Boxes need to be broken down and stacked.
- Carpet needs to be cut into manageable sizes.
- Tree limbs and yard waste may be taken to the Abilene Brush Center located at 2149 Sandy Street off of East Hwy. 80 at no charge to the customer.
Automotive style batteries may be disposed of by taking them to the Environmental Recycling Center at 2209 Oak Street or to an authorized collection facility.
The penalties for improper disposal of each battery (separate offenses) include fines up to $4,000.00 and possible jail time.
Contractors and residents are responsible for disposing of construction materials, major remodeling materials, or roofing materials. The Solid Waste Service Division has construction and demolition materials disposal containers with a 20 cubic yard capacity (roofing projects) and 30 or 40 cubic yard capacity containers for lighter weight materials.
To request a container and to obtain current rates, contact Solid Waste Services at (325) 676-6053.
If you are disabled and need assistance setting out your household garbage please contact Solid Waste Services at (325) 676-6053 and a supervisor will visit your residence to make the necessary arrangements. The special assistance will be given at no additional cost providing the following conditions are met:
- The citizen shall request such services in writing along with documentation from an attending physician confirming the handicap
- The handicap which is the basis of such request must be a physical handicap which prevents the citizen from placing solid waste in the alley dumpster for collection or rolling out the 95 gallon dumpster to the street for collection, and
- The citizen shall be the sole resident at the residential service address at which the service is requested, unless all other residents at the service address qualify for this service under the provisions of the section.